Sunday 30 October 2011

Mixed feelings for Hairuddin Omar after beating his home state Terengganu

It was a bittersweet Malaysia Cup final for Negri Sembilan striker Hairuddin Omar against Terengganu at the Shah Alam Stadium yesterday.
The 32-year-old, who has been troubled by a knee injury which kept him out from most of Negri's Super League matches this year, achieved a rare feat of scoring in and winning three consecutive Malaysia Cup finals which, however, came at the cost of his home state.

The Setiu-born player said he was delighted to help Negri to their second title in three years but was also sad to see Terengganu fans go home devastated.

"It really was a team effort and I don't deserve to be singled out for praise. I feel I am very lucky to have won again this year and to be able to score in three finals is like a dream for me," said Hairuddin, who scored the winning goal yesterday.
 
"Having said that, I do wish to apologise to the whole of Terengganu and hope they understand that it is my job to give 100 per cent to the team I am with."

The veteran, who has been contemplating retirement after his struggles with injury, said he felt he had come full circle with his fourth Malaysia Cup victory. He won his first title with his home team Terengganu in 2001.

"I am happy with the win today as I feel that I have come a long way since my first win in 2001 and am a lot more mature now, having gone through a lot of success and also injuries.

"I am not sure whether I will retire at the end of the season yet. My contract with Negri ends in November and I will discuss with the management when the time comes and we will see how things go."

No comments:

Post a Comment