Friday 28 October 2011

Terengganu inspired by former Sarawak players

Joseph Kallang Tie and Reeshafiq Alwi are quiet and unassuming, and regrettably, do not score many goals.
 
But coach Irfan Bakti said Terengganu would not be where they are now without the "dynamic Sarawak duo".

"They are not the most celebrated players in the team but they certainly are among the most important ones on the field," said Irfan.

"They are midfielders and up until now, they have been running the engine room with precision."

 
The coach said the "Sarawak connection" is an integral part of the team who have thus far won the FA Cup, finished second in the Super League and are now in the Malaysia Cup final against Negri Sembilan.

"Reeshafiq has scored twice while Joseph found the net once in the Malaysia Cup campaign but that does not matter as their jobs are to provide support for our strikers," added the coach.

"They have done that well enough, judging by the number of goals scored by Ashaari Samsuddin, Manaf Mamat and Abdul Hadi Yahya."

Joseph, the 24-year-old Miri-born, said he had high expectations when he decided to join Terenggau two years ago.

"Back then, I did not know that most of my dreams would come true but now, I am the Malaysia Games football gold medallist, FA Cup winner and I am about to play in the Malaysia Cup final for the first time," he said.

Reeshafiq, 29, who hails from Kuching, said it is a privilege to be given a chance to play for double honours in one season.

"I have never had such a good year before and like all my teammates and every football fan in Terengganu, we really, really want to win the Malaysia Cup," he said.

"I was with Terengganu as an on-loan player in 2008 when we made it to the semi-finals but lost to Selangor.

"And now that I have been given another chance, I want to make sure that I will get my hands on the Cup."

No comments:

Post a Comment